Monday, February 6, 2012

The Starlight Prophecy by Linden Morningstar

The Starlight Prophecy is a conglomeration of information with a group of very intelligent women that begins when as girls, they becomes lifelong friends and find themselves in a strange cosmic climate, whereby they name themselves the Star Girls. I love that we have such a group of unpredictable and adventurous women that have Star Power. It reminds me of all the superpowers that are so popular these days, and I believe that these young women are someone that our youth can relate to.

They each have unique powers that evolve as they get older, and their intelligence is quite outstanding. Destined for a prophecy of saving the world, they are on a journey to save everything as we know it. Unaware that they will be thrust into the danger of Aagaatar, a self-proclaimed god, they find themselves in a conflict involving torture and terror.

They must find a way to destroy Aagaatar and find the answer to the journey and their place in the cosmos. Can they save the earth and their lives when the information is so scarce?

I enjoyed the story although I was a bit confused when we went from earth to the stars. Also when one of the side characters dies, there does not appear to be much emotion. I also found it to be strange that women with such intelligence and education act with such girlish abandon. The action was a bit of a cross between a Young Adult stories with some adult specifics thrown in.

They characters themselves were well written, and I enjoyed their powers. I believe this could be a great series, but feel it could use some tightening up. I got lost a few times reading it, but the characters keep you coming back. I enjoyed the events as they began their destiny in the stars. The danger and destruction was well written.

I would have to say that with a bit of clarification this would be a stronger book. The ideas and characters are excellent; there was just a little too much un-believability that keeps it from being as strong as it could be.

There were some very unique twists to the story, and the humor and passionate conversations were well done and fun. The torture was sadistic, and the evil was both haunting and unnerving.

Rating 3/5

This book was received free from the author. All opinions are my own based on my reading and understanding of the material.

No comments: